FDLE Combs Middleburg Home Following Fatal Cop Shooting | Crime
MIDDLEBURG, Fla. -- State law enforcement investigators are
combing a home that housed a meth lab where a Clay County detective was fatally shot and another officer
Detective David White was a
nine year veteran with the department, leaving behind a wife and two young children.
Detective Matt Hanlin is recovering from his gunshot wound.
On Friday, Florida Department
of Law Enforcement teams in white protective suits spent hours in the 16
year-old home located at 4874 Alligator Boulevard located south of Middleburg.
Ray Sutton who lives a block
away heard the gunfire Thursday night.
"I could not tell how many
shots and there were sheriff's officers all over in just a minute just
everywhere" said Sutton who has lived in the area 22
Sutton says he thought the home
had been abandoned, but noted people were staying there with a lot of traffic in
Carla Willis has lived in the community
since 1977 and did not hear gunshots from her home that is two blocks away on
Bull Creek Road.
"It is horrible,"
said Willis when seeing investigators in protective clothing working the crime
Investigators on the scene said
they hoped to finish up their work on Friday. Calls made to the FDLE office
in Tallahassee for additional comment on the investigation have not been
Upcoming Events near Middleburg
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House