Tips for an Allergy-Free Thanksgiving | Health
Thanksgiving is right around the corner once again. For people with allergies and asthma, the holidays can be a time of inadvertent allergy exposure and loss of asthma control. Here are some tips, thanks to Allergy & Asthma Specialists of North Florida and the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology to keep your family healthy while enjoying the holiday season.
- Talking turkey -The centerpiece of the Thanksgiving meal seem safe, but self-basting turkeys can include soy, wheat and dairy. A natural turkey is your best bet since by law it must contain nothing but turkey and water. Also, be sure the stuffing is made from wheat-free bread.
- On the side - For allergen-free mashed potatoes, swap the milk and butter for chicken broth and margarine. Use cornstarch to thicken the gravy instead of wheat flour.
- Now for dessert - Even though pumpkin allergies are rare, America's favorite Thanksgiving pie can cause problems. Be sure to offer dessert alternatives. To be on the safe side, suggest guests with serious food allergies bring their own sweet treats.
Also watch for environmental triggers:
- Wash-up woes - Although your fancy guest soap smells good, it may contain fragrance that can cause allergic reactions. Use regular soap or bring your own.
- Problem pets - If you're allergic to pets, locking a pet in a room won't do the trick to keep your allergies for firing up. By taking symptom-easing medication, it might help your visit to grandma's. An allergist can recommend treatments for your pet allergy, such as antihistamines, nasal sprays, decongestants or appropriate asthma medication.
- No rest for the allergic - Dust mites are one of the most common allergy and asthma triggers. To make sure your guest isn't sneezing all night, make sure to thoroughly dust the extra bedroom.
For more information or to talk to a specialist, visit http://www.jaxallergy.com/.
Upcoming Events near Middleburg
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Creeks Outlaws advance in Pop Warner Super Bowl
- Christmas on the creek will light up Julington on Saturday Dec 7th
- St. Johns superintendent removes self from Lt. Gov consideration
- Julington Creek boat fire caught on camera
- Freedom Boat Club at Julington Creek is new site for ‘Life Jacket Loaner Program for Kids’