New Masimo Rad-57 Pulse CO-Oximeter Takes the ‘Ouch’ Out of Testing Patients for CO Poisoning | Health

Title (Max 100 Characters)

New Masimo Rad-57 Pulse CO-Oximeter Takes the ‘Ouch’ Out of Testing Patients for CO Poisoning
Health

Clay County Fire Rescue, now has the latest advanced technology available to quickly, easily and painlessly determine if a person is suffering from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.  It’s called the Masimo Rad-57 Pulse CO-Oximeter and it uses multiple wavelengths of light to measure the level of carbon monoxide poisoning in a person’s blood on the spot, without a painful needle stick or blood draw. The department utilized grant funding to purchase Masimo Rad-57s to test for carbon monoxide poisoning in persons at the scene of emergencies, as well as those who present with the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, including firefighters and EMS personnel.

“The RAD 57 brings the people we respond to cutting edge emergency medical care that will better allow responders, utilizing advanced diagnostic capabilities, to treat patients.” David Motes, Deputy Chief with Clay County Fire Rescue

With the Rad-57, fire fighters, EMS professionals and ER clinicians have the ability to detect carbon monoxide poisoning on the spot in just seconds with the push of a button. Too often, even the most skilled first responders have missed the chance to treat carbon monoxide poisoning early because, until Masimo invented Pulse CO-Oximetry in 2005, there wasn’t a fast, accurate and noninvasive way to detect elevated levels of CO in the blood.

Signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning mimic symptoms of the flu or even stress and have ranged from mild to severe headaches, shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, and fatigue to altered judgment, confusion, mental clouding, fainting, and seizures. Shock, coma, and death have been shown to follow if the level of carbon monoxide in the person’s blood continues to increase. When the proper diagnosis is not made, patients have been inadvertently returned to a toxic environment where their symptoms returned or worsened.

Even a single high-level exposure, or prolonged exposure to low-levels of CO, has been shown to cause long-term heart, brain and organ damage. The long-term effects of CO poisoning have included: cardiac arrests, Parkinson-like syndromes affecting motor skills and speech, dementia, cortical blindness, acute renal failure, and muscle cell death.

“We respond to incidents where people have been inadvertently exposed to carbon monoxide from things such as problems with gas operated stoves to the utilization of gas powered equipment in a semi-closed environment.” Secondly, firefighters that are exposed to CO over the long term, in conjunction with normal fire operations, can suffer devastating effects.” David Motes, Deputy Chief with Clay County Fire Rescue.

Health

Middleburg Businesses