Woman accused of embezzling $57K from elementary school | News
MIDDLEBURG, Fla. -- An elementary school employee is facing charges of schemes to defraud, grand theft and uttering forged instrument following an investigation by the Clay County School Board.
Julie Herringdine, 37, is accused of reimbursing herself for items paid for using a Clay County School Board Credit Card, according to a police report from the Clay County Sheriff's Office.
School Board officials were notified the J.L. Wilkinson Elementary School account was in overdraft in September 2013 and launched an investigation into the school's financial records.
According to the police report, school board investigators found paperwork allegedly turned in by Herringdine that she was paid refunds for. The paperwork is believed to be counterfitted and money was not actually owed to Herringdine. The investigation also showed Herringdine's paperwork had forged signatures of principals that were in charge of Wilkinson Elementary at the time.
Herringdine resigned her position with the Clay County School District in 2013 while being investigated Clay County School Board, according to the CCSO. Detectives believe Herringdine stole at least $57,000 from Wilkinson Elementary over a five year period.
Herringdine is currently being held in the Clay County jail on $100,009 bond.
Upcoming Events near Middleburg
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House