Southside Murder Suspect Arrested in South Carolina | News
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The woman accused of killing a local woman in her home Friday used the victim's debit card shortly after the murder, helping police track her down quickly even though she was out of state by the time of her arrest.
According to Jacksonville Sheriff's Office Lt. Rob Schoonover in a Sunday news conference, 40-year-old Patty Michelle White had spent some time living with Michele O'Dowd, 67, in her home on Sutton Park Drive North, until they reached a point where the "relationship wasn't good" and White left.
Friday, a relative of O'Dowd found O'Dowd dead in her home, and the medical examiner determined she had been beaten and strangled.
Also, Schoonover said, her home had been ransacked and her debit card was stolen.
After tracking usage of the car, detectives identified two nearby ATMs that had been used, and surveillance video captured images of the suspect.
Family members of O'Dowd helped police identify White as the suspect. Schoonover said it was family members who had arranged for White to live with O'Dowd.
Schoonover said detectives have identified the motive behind the crime as robbery, but something "went horribly wrong."
White was found in South Carolina, and when JSO detectives went to meet with her, she confessed, according to Schoonover.
She will be extradited to Florida to face a murder charge.
Upcoming Events near Middleburg
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House