Clay County Sheriff Rick Beseler: "Darkest Day in the History of This Agency" | News
MIDDLEBURG, Fla. -- A Clay County Sheriff's detective is dead, and another injured, after Sheriff Rick Beseler said a meth lab suspect shot them both at 4874 Alligator Blvd in Middleburg. Sheriff Beseler said, "This is the darkest day in the history of this agency. Tonight, one of the first in almost 40 years in Clay County."
Beseler said a man shot Clay County Detective David White in the head and killed him, while he was investigating a suspected meth lab. Beseler said White was 35 years old, married, with two young children. "An army veteran who served his country overseas. He was literally one of the best officers that we had on our sheriff's office," he said.
Beseler said the suspect also shot detective Matt Hanlin in the arm. He was transported to Orange Park Medical Center, where he underwent surgery. "When the officers approached the house, engaged the suspect at the front door, the shooting occurred," Beseler said. He added, "The suspect who shot Detective White was shot and killed as he came out the back of the house by other officers who were serving as back up."
Florida Department of Law Enforcement will be investigating this shooting, which is standard policy. They will also handle the investigation of the suspected meth lab.
Upcoming Events near Middleburg
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House