Body of Slain Clay Detective Moved to Jacksonville M.E.'s Office | News
Friday morning the Clay County Sheriff’s Office Honor Guard escorted the body of slain Detective David White to the Medical Examiner’s Office in Jacksonville.
Detective Matthew Hanlin remained at Orange Park Medical Center Friday morning where he is recovering from surgery to repair a gunshot wound to his left arm, said Clay County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Mary Justino. The surgery overnight went well and Detective Hanlin did regain consciousness and was able to speak to Clay County Sheriff’s Office members visiting him.
- Meth: Up Close and Behind the Scenes
- Clay County Sheriff Rick Beseler: "Darkest Day in the History of This Agency"
- Clay Detective First Killed in Line of Duty by Suspect Since 1913
- Cleaning Up Meth: What It Takes
- Database: Documented Illegal Drug Labs in Northeast Florida
- News topic: Methanphetamine
- Interactive from our sister ABC station: does Your House Have a Criminal Past Tield to Meth?
Both men are nine-year veterans with the Clay County Sheriff’s Office and have served in both Patrol and Investigative assignments before taking on their duties in the Clay County Sheriff’s Office Street Crimes Section.
According to the Clay County Sheriff’s Office, both detectives have been at the forefront of the agency’s efforts to locate and close down dangerous meth labs in Clay County.Det. White and Det. Hanlin were working as part of a larger nine-man team conducting an investigation into a meth lab suspected to be located inside the home. The two approached the door of the home and encountered the suspect.
Almost immediately, the man began firing shots at the two detectives, hitting them both. An armed suspect, not identified at this time, then fled from the rear of the home where he encountered another member of the Clay County Sheriff’s Office who shot and killed him. According to the Clay County Sheriff’s Office, the man died at the scene. Both Hanlin and White were wearing protective vests when the shooting occurred.
Today Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi said “My deepest condolences and prayers go out to the family of Deputy David White, who are grieving this young man who gave his life to protect his community. My thoughts are also with Deputy Hanlin and his family as he recovers from his injuries. I extend my sympathies to the entire Clay County Sheriff’s Office.”
Upcoming Events near Middleburg
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Creeks Outlaws advance in Pop Warner Super Bowl
- Christmas on the creek will light up Julington on Saturday Dec 7th
- St. Johns superintendent removes self from Lt. Gov consideration
- Julington Creek boat fire caught on camera
- Freedom Boat Club at Julington Creek is new site for ‘Life Jacket Loaner Program for Kids’