Clay Sheriff's Office Investigating Body in Burned Car | News
MIDDLEBURG, Fla. -- The Clay County Sheriff's Office is investigating a body that has been found inside a burned car.
The car was found still on fire at 11:30 Friday morning by the Florida Division of Forestry and Clay County Fire Rescue personnel, according to a news release from Clay County Sheriff's Office Public Information Officer Mary Justino.
They had been alerted to a small woods fire in the 3400 block of State Road 21 south of Middleburg.
When rescue workers entered the wooded area, they found the car burning.
Once the fire was out, they discovered a body was inside the car, Justino said. Detectives with the Clay County Sheriff's Office are now handling the death investigation.
Justino said they are not able to divulge if the victim is a male or female, the exact type of car or where the body was found inside the vehicle.
State Road 21 (Blanding Boulevard) is open.
Upcoming Events near Middleburg
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House