Tow truck driver pinned under truck dies | News
MIDDLEBURG, Fla. -- A tow truck driver has died after being pinned under the front tire of a vehicle.
Napoleon Ballard III of Keystone Heights was killed just after 7pm Monday night after he became trapped under the tire of a pick-up truck he towed to a Middleburg home.
A Clay County Sheriff's Office spokesperson said Ballard was unloading a 1997 Chevrolet Silverado from the flatbed tow truck when he tried to stop the pick-up truck from rolling down and into a shed. Authorities said Ballard tried to stop the truck by opening the driver's side door and reaching for the break. As Ballard did that, he was knocked to the ground and trapped under the driver's side front tire.
A CCSO spokesperson said the pick up truck's owner asked a neighbor and Sheriff's deputies for help to try to jack up the truck and pull Ballard out from underneath the tire. Ballard was pronounced dead at the scene. A CCSO spokesperson said Ballard was a driver for the RJR Towing Company of Jacksonville.
OSHA was called and responded to the scene.
Upcoming Events near Middleburg
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House